[AO discussion] ug text recommendation

Noboru Nakamura nnn at uchicago.edu
Thu Dec 13 09:19:23 UTC 2007

Shafer,

I think the recommendation depends on your course's emphasis.  At the
level you are aiming at, I assume "weather/climate" cannot be just
fluid dynamics but has to present the atmosphere and ocean (plus
geosphere and biosphere) as interacting elements of the climate
system, including the radiation balance of the planet.  I only looked
at the precursor version of Marshall and Plumb on the web and they
seem to attempt at this, but yes perhaps at a somewhat advanced level.

I too in the past looked for a good undergraduate text on the
subject, and I wasn't completely satisfied.  Wells (2nd Ed) is a
decent book (albeit the glitches that other commentators pointed
out), but it cannot be a one-stop reference for modern climate
dynamics.  In the upper-class undergraduate course "Atmosphere and
Ocean in Motion," I use Wallace and Hobbs (2nd Ed; the first two
chapters are an excellent intro to climate system) and Stewart's open
source Physical Oceanography text (http://oceanworld.tamu.edu/
resources/ocng_textbook/contents.html) for reading assignments, but I
use my own lecture notes and problem sets.  Typical lab
demonstrations include Coriolis force, sink vortex (hurricanes),
Taylor-Proudman vs thermal winds, jetstream, and Stommel-Arons.  It
will be good if the text fully explains the demonstrations (as in
Marshall and Plumb), but a simple show-and-tell is usually enough to
grab the students' attention; you can easily expand your lectures
around the demos and connect with theories and observations.

Maybe we'll talk about these in depth at the upcoming teaching workshop.
http://geosci.uchicago.edu/~nnn/workshop/

Cheers,

Noboru Nakamura
Department of Geophysical Sciences