[AO announcement] talented young physical oceanographers looking for a permanent position?

Rob Scott rscott at utig.ig.utexas.edu
Wed Aug 27 21:38:28 UTC 2008

Dear colleagues

This year the University of Texas Jackson School of Geosciences is
targeting its expansion by looking for individuals that are possibly
interested in working here in specific areas. I'm testing the waters,
looking for talented physical oceanographers that might like to apply
for a research position where I work. I'm a research scientist at the
UT Institute for Geophysics, where we have 6 months hard money and
must raise 6 months from external grants. There are no teaching
responsibilities, but on occasion researchers do teach classes if
they want to. Senior research scientists receive 8 months hard money,
and so are required to bring in only 4 months from grants. It's a
good deal for someone who wants to focus on research without the
burden of teaching or the need to work on mission oriented projects.
Here at UTIG most scientists go to sea to do marine seismic studies,
so there is some support in place here for that. There's also
excellent support for writing proposals. UT also has a "spousal hire"
program, and make a big effort to hire spouses of new hires.

At this point, I'm just gathering names of talented individuals that
might be interested in applying. The job announcement and call for
applications will be sometime in the coming year. Can you please
forward me the names of people that might be interested? There may be
a preference for junior people, but we can also try to push for a
senior person.

Thanks for your help,
Rob

Rob Scott
Research Scientist
Institute for Geophysics
University of Texas at Austin
Office: +1-512-471-0375
http://www.ig.utexas.edu/people/staff/rscott

J.J. Pickle Research Campus
ROC / Building 196 / Rm. 3.263
10100 Burnet Road, Austin, TX  78758
University Mail Code: R2200

Before printing, think about the environment