[AO announcement] Call for abstracts for IPY Oslo Science Conference, Theme 1, T1-1 Polar oceans and their importance for global ocean circulation

Karen Heywood K.Heywood at uea.ac.uk
Mon Jan 4 07:27:34 PST 2010

Dear friends and colleagues,

Happy New Year!

Please consider submitting an abstract for the International Polar
Year open science conference in Oslo, Norway, 8th-12th June 2010 (full
info http://www.ipy-osc.no/). The deadline for abstracts is 20th
January and there are already a healthy number of abstracts submitted.
I would be most grateful if you could circulate this call to colleagues.

We have a session, detailed below, on the links between the polar
oceans and global climate.

I look forward to seeing you in Oslo!

Best wishes,
Karen
T1-1 Polar oceans and their importance for global ocean circulation

The polar and sub-polar oceans play a vital role in climate,
transforming warm, salty water into colder, fresher water that is
exported equatorward in both bottom and intermediate layers. This
session will discuss the processes by which water masses are changed
through interaction with the atmosphere and with ice shelves, through
sea ice melting and freezing, and through diapycnal and isopycnal
mixing. The session is inspired by the efforts that have been made
during the IPY and are still ongoing. An important issue is likely to
be the documenting and understanding of changes observed in high-
latitude water masses in recent decades. We particularly encourage
young scientists and those from nations relatively new to polar ocean
science to present their results. We will welcome abstracts on recent
observational campaigns, synthesis efforts, analyses of historical or
remotely sensed data, laboratory experiments, theory or numerical
ocean/climate modelling.

Professor Karen J. Heywood
Physical Oceanographer
School of Environmental Sciences