[AO announcement] 2012 IUGG Conference on Mathematical Geophysics

c.pasquero at isac.cnr.it c.pasquero at isac.cnr.it
Thu Mar 1 06:14:07 PST 2012

Dear Colleagues,

The 29th IUGG Conference on Mathematical Geophysics, focusing on "Confronting models with data", will be held in Edinburgh, Scotland, over the 18th-22nd June 2012.

We are happy to announce that we have received funding to support participation for students, post-docs, and early career scientists. Members of minority and underrepresented groups are particularly encouraged to apply for support.

The conference aims to draw together key contemporary issues in mathematical geophysics, including solid Earth, ocean, atmosphere, criosphere, climate observations and data assimilation, modeling of the Earth system and its components, model validation and the solving of contemporary earth science problems. An opening session on Mathematics of the Planet Earth will anticipate the 2013 year emphasis on the subject.

We hope that as well as presenting new results, the meeting will also demonstrate methodological approaches that can be transferred between disciplines.

The conference will be held in the National Museum of Scotland in the heart of Edinburgh's old town. June is possibly the best time of year to visit Scotland; the weather is generally warm and dry. The classic geology of the highlands is close and accessible by either public transport or car hire from Edinburgh.

Abstract submission and support request close on the 30th April, 2012.

Conference website: http://www.cmgedinburgh2012.org.uk/
Conference program: http://www.cmgedinburgh2012.org.uk/scientificProgram.html
Conference registration: http://www.cmgedinburgh2012.org.uk/registration.html

For further information, please contact the conference organiser: mark.naylor at ed.ac.uk

We look forward to seeing you at the 2012 Conference on Mathematical Geophysics.

The Organizing Committee and the IUGG Committee on Mathematical Geophysics.
----