[AO announcement] Tropical Dynamics Session in Australia

Adam Sobel ahs129 at columbia.edu
Tue Mar 11 04:31:03 UTC 2008

Dear Colleagues,

With apologies for multiple postings:

Tropical Atmosphere Dynamics Session in Cairns

We are conducting a session on Tropical Atmospheric Dynamics at the 2008
AGU Western Pacific Geophysics Meeting in Cairns, Australia 29 July - 1
August 2008 (http://www.agu.org/meetings/wp08/). Please see the session
description below.

The abstract submission deadline is 16 April 2008. Feel free to contact
either one of us with questions, and please distribute widely.

We look forward to seeing you in Cairns.

Best regards,
Eric Maloney and Adam Sobel

emails: emaloney at atmos.colostate.edu and ahs129 at columbia.edu

---------------------
Session Description:

A session on the large-scale dynamics of the tropical atmosphere. We
solicit presentations that advance our understanding of the mechanisms
behind tropical phenomena over a wide range of space and time scales.
Possible topics of interest include variations on synoptic (e.g. easterly
waves), intraseasonal (e.g., Madden-Julian oscillation), interannual (e.g.
ENSO teleconnections, monsoon variability), and decadal timescales, as
well as features of the mean climate (Hadley and Walker circulations,
ITCZs, monsoons). We welcome presentations involving atmospheric coupling
to ocean and land surfaces, tropical-extratropical interactions, and
interactions across different space and time scales.

The session is intended to provide insight into mechanisms behind tropical
phenomena using a variety of tools. Presentations which synthesize
information from multiple approaches - including numerical models,
observations, and theory - are particularly welcome. We discourage
contributions that are primarily descriptive and lacking in dynamical
interpretation.

--
Adam H. Sobel
Department of Applied Physics and Applied Mathematics
e-mail: ahs129 at columbia.edu
web: http://www.columbia.edu/~ahs129/home.html

UNTIL AUGUST 2008, ON SABBATICAL at
Bureau of Meteorology Research Centre