[AO announcement] New version of AOFD book

Vallis, Geoffrey G.Vallis at exeter.ac.uk
Wed Aug 19 05:46:10 PDT 2015

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

I have released a new version of the draft of the second edition of my book, Atmospheric and Oceanic Fluid Dynamics, and there is a download link below.

The main addition is a new chapter on 'Water Vapour and Tropical Dynamics’. Half the chapter concerns water vapour itself and half is on the tropical dynamics of the atmosphere. There is material on the determination of relative humidity, tropical scaling, convection, quasi-equilibrium, radiative-convective equilibrium etc. I have tried to treat these topics in a similar style to the other topics in my book, so it is not really a conventional 'tropical meteorology' chapter. The chapter is not finished, and I would like to include more material on large-scale tropical circulation, but it is readable. I will likely make additional changes and additions in the weeks ahead. The link also contains chapters on the stratosphere, gravity waves, equatorial waves and the equatorial ocean circulation, etc.

I would be most grateful if you would pass this message on to anyone who may be interested, especially postdocs and students. I would be even more grateful to receive comments on any and all aspects of the work, from both experts and beginners alike.
The material can be downloaded from:
   http://tiny.cc/Vallis/aofd
or
   http://empslocal.ex.ac.uk/people/staff/gv219/aofd/

Apologies if you receive more than one copy of this email.
Many thanks
Geoff

–––

Prof. Geoffrey Vallis